Sapphire Realm Roleplaying Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Sapphire Realm Roleplaying Forum

A Place For All Your Roleplaying.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Recycled Characters?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Devious
No Longer a Noob
No Longer a Noob
Devious

Character Profile
Level: 1
HP:
Recycled Characters? Left_bar_bleue100/100Recycled Characters? Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)
MP:
Recycled Characters? Left_bar_bleue75/75Recycled Characters? Empty_bar_bleue  (75/75)

Recycled Characters? Empty
PostSubject: Recycled Characters?   Recycled Characters? EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 3:35 pm

So... I'm curious what y'all think about reused characters, whether in terms of names, appearances, archetypes, or whathaveyou. I'm prone to recycling characters, since my first six months of roleplaying consisted of a myriad of variations on a single Mary Sue named Yuki Tsukino, but I was wondering if there are certain... connotations associated with it? Is it a common practice? Is it frowned upon? Should people do it?

I mean, I would argue that I personally get attached to a certain archetype and want to make sure I can roleplay it well, thus wanting to practice writing with it as much as possible... but... I'm biased. x3
Back to top Go down
http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showuser=7049
Shiro
Shiro

Character Profile
Level: 4
HP:
Recycled Characters? Left_bar_bleue100/100Recycled Characters? Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)
MP:
Recycled Characters? Left_bar_bleue75/75Recycled Characters? Empty_bar_bleue  (75/75)

PostSubject: Re: Recycled Characters?   Recycled Characters? EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 3:54 pm

Well, I think as much as we try to cariate, some archtypes and 'molds' (so to speak) of characters tend to stick XD

As long as it's not a bad type of character (bad as in Mary Sue, Gary Stu, etc), I don't think recycling is bad? Although, in my personal opinion, it's always good to try and variate, even if it's just for the sake of trying something new rather than sticking to the old just because it's easier or you like it :3
Back to top Go down
chibiboru
chibiboru

Character Profile
Level: 5
HP:
MP:

PostSubject: Re: Recycled Characters?   Recycled Characters? EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 4:04 pm

oh, dude, I have so many characters that are based off of each other, it's not even funny XD and I don't quite understand what you mean by 'recycling' o.O I might know what it is, just not with that name. I do that often, learn different names for the same thing XD
Back to top Go down
Devious
No Longer a Noob
No Longer a Noob
Devious

Character Profile
Level: 1
HP:
MP:

PostSubject: Re: Recycled Characters?   Recycled Characters? EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 4:08 pm

I knowz I'm unoriginal... x3

Anyways... Devy uses 'recycling' to meaning that... she'll take a character she used in one roleplay and essentially modify them to fit another roleplay. *Phail explanation*
Back to top Go down
http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showuser=7049
Shiro
Shiro

Character Profile
Level: 4
HP:
MP:

PostSubject: Re: Recycled Characters?   Recycled Characters? EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 4:37 pm

recycling as in reusing something old to make something new rather than making something new from scratch, Chibi =3
Back to top Go down
chibiboru
chibiboru

Character Profile
Level: 5
HP:
MP:

PostSubject: Re: Recycled Characters?   Recycled Characters? EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 5:41 pm

oh yeah, I know that ^^" sorry, just never heard of it as 'recycling'...I usually make new characters for different roleplays ^^" but base them off of each other, so I don't think that would count as recycling. I'd say it's fine, though, after all, it is your character, shouldn't you be able to do anything you want with it in between roleplays?
Back to top Go down
Kira the Sapphire Dragon
Admin
Admin
Kira the Sapphire Dragon

Character Profile
Level: 9
HP:
Recycled Characters? Left_bar_bleue490/490Recycled Characters? Empty_bar_bleue  (490/490)
MP:
Recycled Characters? Left_bar_bleue436/436Recycled Characters? Empty_bar_bleue  (436/436)

PostSubject: Re: Recycled Characters?   Recycled Characters? EmptySun Dec 19, 2010 2:21 pm

I kinda do, with the first character I ever made, but every time I recreate her she becomes less mary-stu like. Though I used her over and over because I was just doing RPs on gaia five years ago. Then, I joined this pretty awesome guild where we did lots of RPs and began making new characters for each and everyone, not reusing any. :3 You should see how many I have from that guild. O.o I didn't even save all the profiles and there's still a lot.
And then I discovered DC~ Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://sapphirerealm.rpg-board.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recycled Characters?   Recycled Characters? Empty

Back to top Go down

Recycled Characters?
Page 1 of 1